Laws Surrounding Building in Your Garden

Contact Information

Unit 3
Milner’s Road
LS19 7JE

T: 01943 468 358

If you intend to build a log cabin, garden shed, workshop or even a summer house in your garden, you must be wondering whether you need building and planning permission. In this brief guide, we talk about the laws surrounding building in your garden so you can ensure you are not breaking any law.

Permitted Developments

Garden sheds and outbuildings are categorised as permitted developments, which means you can build these without applying for council approval as long as it meets the following conditions:

  • If the building is being placed within 2m from the boundary wall of the property, the structure should not exceed more than 2.5m in height. If you are looking to build a large building close to the boundary with a taller roof, you can consider lowering the overall roof height so that the building does not exceed an overall height of 2.5.
  • If the building is being placed more than 2m from the property’s boundary, you can build a single-storey garden structure. The eave height of the structure shall not exceed 2.5m and the overall height of the building shall not be 4m for a dual pitched roof and 3m for other types of roofs (pent/flat). If the building will exceed these limitations, you will need planning permission.

Planning Permission

You will need planning permission if:

  • The building will be used as a self-contained accommodation or have an antenna.
  • The garden shed, summerhouse, garden office or garden room will use more than 50% of the land area.
  • The outbuilding is closer to the public highway or road than the main house itself is.
  • You intend to build a garden structure bigger than 30m2.

Special Considerations

  • Listed buildings – A listed building is a structure that has been determined as a structure of national importance. There are several rules around such buildings, so any garden structure being built within the boundary of such a building will need planning permission.
  • Designated land – Designated land refers to areas of interest like World Heritage Sites, national parks, the Broads, conservation areas and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. There are several rules to adhere to if you are building on designated land.

Fencing Services in West Yorkshire

Dalesway Paving provide fencing services across Bradford, Leeds and Harrogate. Whether you are looking for a contemporary design or a traditional style, we offer them all. Get in touch with us today to discuss your requirements.

Make an enquiry

We design and create beautiful block paved driveways perfect for any home. Simply fill in the form below to discuss your project and we will get back to you.

I consent to have this website store my submitted information so they can respond to my enquiry.

Stay in touch

Subscribe to our newsletter now and keep up to date on our services, advice and helpful guides